Sharir and Sharir/Bustamante Dance Collection
photographer: Jonathan Leatherwood
The Sharir/Sharir+Bustamante Dance Collection is part of a gift archive from dance professor Yacov Sharir. The collection includes videos of and documents relating to performances, rehearsals, workshops, and other events spanning four decades of Dr. Sharir’s career, beginning with his 1977 founding of the American Deaf Dance Company. Further materials document his tenure with the Sharir Dance Company, UT’s professional company-in-residence, which he founded in 1982. The company took the name Sharir+Bustamante Danceworks in 1998, acknowledging José Luis Bustamante as co-artistic director. The collection features the choreography of Sharir and Bustamante through the 2007 final season of S+BDW and beyond, along with the work of many guest artists and collaborators. Sharir pioneered digital intervention for the purpose of augmenting all aspects of performance, while Bustamante explored new site-specific interests. They both continue producing, presenting, promoting, and educating the public about new dance, art, and music.
The gift archive, hosted at the Fine Arts Library, includes all digitized videos and documents; set, costume, and virtual reality equipment; and undigitized videos and documents. This compiled collection represents materials donated by both Dr. Yacov Sharir and José Luis Bustamante.
- Production history of American Deaf Dance Company, Sharir Dance Company, and Sharir+Bustamante Danceworks; 1977-2015. This document lists company performance events, and functions as a finding aid for the videos in the digital collection and physical archive.
- Digitized documents:
- Photographs of Dr. Sharir's wearable technology
- Group 1: Press Binders; Sharir Dance Company and Sharir+Bustamante Danceworks, 1985-2001
- Group 2: Yacov Sharir's External Review Portfolio, 2000-2005
- Group 3: Miscellaneous, 1983-2005
- Group 4: Photographs of American Deaf Dance Company, Sharir Dance Company, Batsheva, Kibbutz, and others, 1977-1988
- Group 5 coming soon.
- Group 6: Correspondence, programs, press, photographs, and promotional materials of Batsheva Dance Company, Inbal Dance Theatre, Efrati Dance Company, Jerusalem Dance Group, Israeli Ballet, and Kibbutz Dance Company, 1970-1986
- Group 7: Press, marketing, correspondence: Sharir Dance Company and Sharir+Bustamance Danceworks, 1984-2007
- Group 8: Programs: Sharir Dance Company and Sharir+Bustamante Danceworks, 1983-2007
- Group 9: Photographs, Press, Grants, Awards: Sharir Dance Company and Sharir+Bustamante Danceworks, 1992-2006
- Group 10: Programs, Press, Correspondence, Promotional material; American Deaf Dance Company, Sharir Dance Company, Sharir+Bustamante Danceworks, Dance Repertory Theatre: 1976-2015
- Group 11: Posters, press clippings; American Deaf Dance Company, Sharir Dance Company, Sharir+Bustamante Danceworks, Hartford Ballet, Austin Civic Ballet, Dance Repertory Theatre: 1970-1997
- Biography of Yacov Sharir.
- Biography of José Luis Bustamante.
If you are using materials in the archive for research, educational, or artistic purposes, we would love to hear from you. To share your work and for other queries, please contact archive assistant Katie Van Winkle, or Theatre and Dance Librarian Beth Kerr. Contact Head of Digitization Services Anna Lamphear to inquire about high-resolution versions of the videos and images in this collection.
- American Deaf Dance Company with guest artists Dee McCandless, Gene Menger, and Michael Uthoff dancing "Continuation in Silence," "Ode to Jose," "Quadruped" and "From Right to Left," April 7, 1979.
- Triptych, choreographed by Jose Luis Bustamante for Sharir Dance Company, March 22, 1990.
- Uomo Nella Luna, choreographed by Yacov Sharir, and Tlon, choreographed by Jose Luis Bustamante; for Sharir Dance Company, January 27, 1991.
- The Egg, choreographed by Yacov Sharir for Sharir Dance Company, November 30, 1992.
- Unending Rose, choreographed by Jose Luis Bustamante for Sharir Dance Company, November 17, 1996.
- I Have No Face: Ten Stories (Act I | Act II), choreographed by Laura Cannon, Tomie Hahn, Theresa Hardy, Andee Scott, and Yacov Sharir for Sharir+Bustamante Danceworks, May 10, 2002.
- 3D [Embodied], choreographed by Yacov Sharir for Dance Repertory Theatre, April 20-21, 2013.
- AdMortuos, choreographed by Yacov Sharir for Dance Repertory Theatre, March 5, 2015.
Items in this collection have been uploaded with the permission of Yacov Sharir. Inclusion in the collection does not mean that the works are in the public domain; they may still be protected by copyright. We provide access only for nonprofit, educational, scholarly, research and teaching uses, and personal use, in accordance with copyright's fair use provision. If a reader wishes to make other uses, he/she/it is responsible for determining whether permission is required and if so, obtaining it from the copyright owner(s). We would be happy to hear from any reader who has information about a work in the collection. A reader who has any concerns about a work in the collection should feel free to contact us.
All items in this collection, except where otherwise noted, are licensed under the Creative Commons license described as Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States.