Copyright and Licensing Repository Policy
- Faculty, researchers, and students own copyright in their scholarly or educational work at UT, as stated in the UT System Regents' Rules and Regulations, General Rules for Intellectual Property, Series 90101, Section 4, http://www.utsystem.edu/bor/rules.htm. Therefore faculty, researchers, and students will retain their copyright while granting non-exclusive rights to UT Austin and the Texas Digital Library (TDL) when submitting their work to Texas ScholarWorks.
- Copyright owners will grant non-exclusive rights to UT Austin and TDL to copy, display, perform, distribute, and publish their submitted work within copyright law or any applicable license agreement as part of a UT Austin or TDL repository communication or distribution effort.
- Copyright owners will grant UT Austin and TDL the non-exclusive right to migrate their work to various formats as needed in perpetuity for preservation and usability.
- The UT Libraries will manage these non-exclusive rights granted to UT Austin and TDL.
- When submitting a work to Texas ScholarWorks, submitters will be asked to warrant:
- They are either the copyright owner of the work, or they have permission from the copyright owner(s) to submit the work.
- The work does not infringe any copyright, patent, or trade secrets of any third party, and does not contain any libelous matter, nor invade the privacy of any person or third party.
- The work has not been sold, mortgaged, or otherwise disposed of, and is free from all exclusive claims, EXCEPT for in the case of a thesis or dissertation with pending patent(s). If a thesis or dissertation has a patent pending, the author has the option to request a two year embargo on display and distribution rights through Texas ScholarWorks and TDL's online repository.
Some works may not fit the warranties or options described above. If so, the submitter should contact the Repository Curator at firstname.lastname@example.org for further licensing options.
Submission Copyright Statement
This Copyright Statement will be presented to a submitter as a click-through license during the submission process.
Submission Copyright Statement
I grant the University of Texas at Austin ("Institution"), my academic department ("Department"), and the Texas Digital Library ("TDL") the non-exclusive rights to copy, display, perform, distribute and publish the content I submit to this repository ("Work") and to make the Work available in any format in perpetuity as part of an Institution, Department, or TDL repository communication or distribution effort.
I understand that once the Work is submitted, a bibliographic citation to the Work will remain visible in perpetuity, even if the Work is updated or removed.
I understand that the Work's copyright owner(s) will continue to own copyright outside these non-exclusive granted rights.
I warrant that:
(1) I am the copyright owner of the Work, or
(2) I am one of the copyright owners and have permission from the other owners to submit the Work, or
(3) My Institution or Department is the copyright owner and I have permission to submit the Work, or
(4) Another party is the copyright owner and I have permission to submit the Work.
Based on this, I further warrant to my knowledge:
(5) The Work does not infringe any copyright, patent, or trade secrets of any third party,
(6) The Work does not contain any libelous matter, nor invade the privacy of any person or third party, and
(7) That no right in the Work has been sold, mortgaged, or otherwise disposed of, and is free from all exclusive claims.
I agree to hold Institution, Department, TDL and their agents harmless for any liability arising from any breach of the above warranties or any claim of intellectual property infringement arising from the exercise of these non-exclusive granted rights.
Click "I Agree"