X-Ray And Optical Flux Ratio Anomalies In Quadruply Lensed Quasars. II. Mapping The Dark Matter Content In Elliptical Galaxies
MetadataShow full item record
We present a microlensing analysis of 61 Chandra observations of 14 quadruply lensed quasars. X-ray flux measurements of the individual quasar images give a clean determination of the microlensing effects in the lensing galaxy and thus offer a direct assessment of the local fraction of stellar matter making up the total integrated mass along the lines of sight through the lensing galaxy. A Bayesian analysis of the ensemble of lensing galaxies gives a most likely local stellar fraction of 7%, with the other 93% in a smooth, dark matter component, at a mean impact parameter R(c) of 6.6 kpc from the center of the lensing galaxy. We divide the systems into smaller ensembles based on R(c) and find that the most likely local stellar fraction varies qualitatively and quantitatively as expected, decreasing as a function of R(c).